Published on June 23rd, 2015 |
by IH guest
Ikea Silveran high cabinet with mirror door (3)
Ikea Capita legs (4-pack)
4 coat hooks (we bought them at another store)
baskets (ours are from the Container Store)
2 cabinet knobs (to replace included plastic ones, if desired)
With four kids and a tiny coat closet, we needed a good solution for coats, shoes, etc. Unfortunately the space behind our door was too shallow (10 inches) for any of the other IKEA hack locker options I had seen, but when I saw the Silveran cabinets were only 9 7/8 inches deep I figured they would be perfect. This is how we did it:
1. Drill new holes for the fixed shelves at desired heights so there will be a big empty space for coats to hang (our fixed shelves are at 12 inches from the bottom of the cabinet and 14 inches from the top).
2. Drill new holes for the adjustable shelves at desired heights (ours are 6 inches from the bottom of the cabinet and 7 inches above the higher fixed shelf [for the big kids] and 9 inches below the higher fixed shelf [for the little kids]) I recommend buying baskets before deciding where you want the shelves.
3. Assemble the cabinet according to the instructions but install doors with mirrors facing the inside. We did not use the door for the middle cabinet because the doorknob would have hit it every time the door opened.
4. Attach cabinets to the wall according to the instructions at the correct height to attach the legs
5. Attach the legs, one on each side of the entire unit and the other two half on one cabinet and half on the other
6. Install adjustable shelves
7. Screw in coat hooks at desired heights
We have two children sharing each cabinet (and the one in the middle for parents’ shoes, bags, keys, etc). Each child has a basket for mittens and hats, a coat hook, and a shelf underneath for their shoes. We’ve had this unit for about 6 months now and we love it!
~ Erin Olson